The garden plans continue! This past weekend, I went to a little mini-class on gardening and learned all kinds of fun stuff about both gardening and composting. Then, the Gardening Guru herself (hi, Cassie!) came over to my house to assess the situation in the back yard. Once we clear out the excess brush and dead things, it looks like we're going to have a decent amount of space to plant. Also, I was worried that the yard might not get enough sun - but it actually gets plenty, and at the right time of day. I'm quite pleased. I don't think I'm going to be ready for spring/summer planting (except for a few things I plan to start in containers), but I still decided to look over some seed catalogs. The first one arrived over the weekend: Seed Savers Exchange. Eeee!We read a really great book called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver for book club last year. It really taught me a lot and made me look at food in a new way. I highly recommend it. Anyway, at one point in the book, the author says, "I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they’re feeling because that’s how I read the seed catalogs in January." I'm not exactly as excited as that, but I did love looking through the catalog at all the interesting types of stuff you can grow. I had no idea how many different varieties of carrots there are. Did you know there are purple carrots out there? And purple green beans? Fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment