Saturday, January 17, 2009

Letter to My 8 Year Old

Dear Joey,

Yes, I know...you'd rather I call you Joseph now. "Joey" is a baby name. But you know what? I brought you into this world, and I keep you here, and I didn't even cause you physical harm that one time you drew a picture of the solar system on my kitchen cabinets with Sharpies. So I'm calling you what I want. When you make a person? You can call it what YOU want. Deal?

On Friday, you turned 8 years old. Surely some sort of time warp must have occurred because it seems like only yesterday you looked like this:Look and what a cute little pudge you were back then! You were even cute when you cried. Or when you'd eat spaghetti and get it pretty much everywhere but your mouth:Even covered with marinara sauce, you were still a cutie!

I know you're at kind of a turning point in your life right now. And pretty soon, you're going to stop calling me Mommy and you probably aren't going to want to hold my hand or kiss me in public. But I'm totally okay with that. Because I'm sure there are still going to be moments like this morning when you crawled into bed next to me to tell me that you loved me and I was a great mom - for apparently no reason other than you felt like letting me know. That pretty much had me floating all day. You're an amazing person, Joey. You're sweet and you're smart and you're funny. I know you're going to do great and incredible things in your life. You're going to be part of the change we need in this world. And you better believe that I'll always be there, cheering you on. I love you so much, Joey Bear.

So, happy birthday, my 8 year old. It's a big year for you. I'm proud of the person you've been, the person you are now, and the person you're becoming. Thanks for telling me I'm doing okay with the all the mom stuff. Because being your mom is the most important job I've ever had.

Love you forever,
Mom

3 comments:

Siobhán said...

thanks for the kleenex warning! so, i totally hate it when people start talking about setting their babies up on future dates with other babies, but i am SO all about an arranged marriage between mallory and joey. ahem, joSEPH. never mind that she'd have some kickin' in-laws, he is just SO smart and SO funny and so dang cute!

you're a good mom. you guys are doing such a good job!

Jen said...

So very sweet! Happy birthday little guy! Wasn't it just yesterday that he was eating dead worms off my back porch? It goes way too fast.

The Schultz Family said...

That was so stinkin' cute!! You are such an adorable mom. I hope the next five years until my little man turns eight will go by rather slowly.