
Dia de los Muertos is a celebration in Mexico. Since Joey is in the Spanish Immersion Program at his school, the kids learn about many Spanish/Mexican holidays. So every year, in addition to the school doing Halloween stuff, they also observe Dia de los Muertos. For those who might not know about the holiday, here's a little blurb, encyclopedia style:
The Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos in Spanish) is a holiday celebrated mainly in Mexico and by people of Mexican heritage (and others) living in the United States and Canada. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and relatives who have died. The celebration occurs on the 1st and 2nd of November, in connection with the Catholic holy days of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day which take place on those days. Traditions include building private altars honoring the deceased, using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts.
Though we celebrate Memorial Day here in the US, I've always felt like that holiday was geared more toward those who died in wars. It was like Veteran's Day was for celebrating those who served, and Memorial Day was to celebrate the memory of those who were lost. But I guess Memorial Day is the closest we have. Anyway, I really like the idea of this tradition - a day set aside to honor those close to us who have died. This year, Dia de los Muertos has special significance since we so recently lost my dad.

It's been over four months now since he passed away, but with the holidays approaching, I've been thinking of him a lot. I had kind of a rocky relationship with my dad, but I have many happy memories as well. Especially memories of him laughing and playing with his grandkids. He just loved them to pieces, and even when he was sick he still made every effort to be an active part of their lives. Like, he'd go on hikes with Joey, and put puzzles together with Kristin every morning. They had such great times together, and it was a joy to watch.
I really miss him.
1 comment:
What a great way to memoralize your Dad. Your kiddos costumes look adorable. I love the lobster costume. Very unique. I am so glad you enjoyed your new hood. I think it is a great blessing to live in a neighborhood where you can trust your neighbors.
Post a Comment