Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Signs of Life in the Garden!

A few months ago, Joey came home from Cub Scouts with three tomato plants. He promptly put them in the back yard, and our first "real" gardening efforts began. We were determined to keep these plants alive and (hopefully) get a few actual tomatoes from them! They quickly outgrew the plastic containers they came in, so we repotted them into terra cotta pots we had on hand and moved them to a sunny spot in the yard. It was very exciting about a week ago when we discovered there really are tomatoes out there! So far, only two of the three plants have tomatoes, but the third one has some flowers on it now so I'm hopeful! Here's a picture of our one cherry tomato (we only have ONE tomato on this plant, but isn't it adorable?)This tomato plant didn't come with a label so I have no idea what type of tomato it is. But it's growing a ton of little guys! They're just a few tiny signs of life, but I count it as a gardening success. Next year, I'm planning to plant several larger plants since I hope to make and can my own tomato sauce. Wish me luck!

No comments: