I call it a strange little rose bush because it's basically just one long stem with a big bunch of leaves and blossoms at the top. It appears to be a shoot that grew off of the now-dead main rose bush. The roses are huge, gorgeous, and smell fantastic. They're visible from the kitchen window, and I love looking out and seeing a burst of color out there. I'd planned to have some flowers in the yard, but I was picturing them more in the front, with the vegetables and herbs in the back. But maybe we'll have to put some flowers in the back yard, too. There's actually a book I've seen called Roses love Garlic that talks about companion planting. I'll definitely have to check it out!
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
The Only Thing Growing in my Garden (for now!)
I've been diligently working on the back yard every weekend, trying to trim things back, pull weeds, and generally get ready to plan a real garden. Other than the orange trees, the yard was looking pretty barren. Then this week, our strange little rose bush bloomed:
I call it a strange little rose bush because it's basically just one long stem with a big bunch of leaves and blossoms at the top. It appears to be a shoot that grew off of the now-dead main rose bush. The roses are huge, gorgeous, and smell fantastic. They're visible from the kitchen window, and I love looking out and seeing a burst of color out there. I'd planned to have some flowers in the yard, but I was picturing them more in the front, with the vegetables and herbs in the back. But maybe we'll have to put some flowers in the back yard, too. There's actually a book I've seen called Roses love Garlic that talks about companion planting. I'll definitely have to check it out!
I call it a strange little rose bush because it's basically just one long stem with a big bunch of leaves and blossoms at the top. It appears to be a shoot that grew off of the now-dead main rose bush. The roses are huge, gorgeous, and smell fantastic. They're visible from the kitchen window, and I love looking out and seeing a burst of color out there. I'd planned to have some flowers in the yard, but I was picturing them more in the front, with the vegetables and herbs in the back. But maybe we'll have to put some flowers in the back yard, too. There's actually a book I've seen called Roses love Garlic that talks about companion planting. I'll definitely have to check it out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment