Last night Simon had his first trip to the Emergency Room. I doubt it will be his last. He was jumping around on some pillows and fell backwards into the coffee table. And right away, blood started dripping from the back of his head. It was awful! Fortunately, the bleeding stopped quickly - but it was obvious that the cut was bad enough that he needed medical attention. So, off we went. Simon seemed to feel fine and had plenty of energy. The Emergency Room was pretty full when we got there, and I worried we'd be in the waiting room for a long time. But it only took about a 45 minutes before we went back to a room. Well, it wasn't really a room - more of a curtained area. But you know what I mean. Simon was less than excited about having to sit and wait, especially when there was lots of fun and dangerous medical equipment sitting around calling his name.

I tried to snap a picture of his head, but he was on the move most of the time. in this photo you can kind of see the spot - but we'd already cleaned up his hair. Initially, the entire back of his head was a big red mess.

It turned out that Simon needed two staples to close the wound. They had me hold down his body while two nurses held his head still. He was screaming the whole time since he hates being held down. The doctor leaned in to put the staples in and then paused to ask me if I was going to pass out. I wanted to smack her. I work in a hospital! I'm not upset because he's having a procedure! I'm upset because
he's upset! Just get this over with!
Here is a photo of Simon after they had finished. Doesn't this picture break your heart? He looks so sad and pathetic!

Here's what his head looks like today:

2 comments:
Poor little guy!
P.S. Do you know any kids that DO enjoy being held down?
That was my job when I was a volunteer at Children's Hospital, to be the mean lady who holds the kids down to make it easier for the parents.
Post a Comment